Monday, April 14, 2008

Yes Mam

For months now, I've been teaching Colin to say, "Yes Mam. (BTW, I don't know the proper spelling for that unless it's short for Madame.) Anyway, our conversations normally go like this: 
I ask a question or request a behavior or ask a favor or whatever. I get various responses like the following: 
Yeah
Okay
No
I don't want to.
Mom, you're silly. 
Mom, you're not being happy with me.
And sometimes, I'll even get a "whatever." Seriously!

And with those varied responses, I'll encourage better answers with improved manners. "Yes Mam," being one of those. When I say it, he will often repeat it. When he doesn't repeat it, I say, "'Yes Mam' are the words I'm looking for." Then he'll say it, reluctantly sometimes, but he'll say it. Other times I'll say, for example, "Colin, would you like a quesadilla for dinner." Colin will answer, "Yeah." Then I'll say, "Yes Mam?" And he'll respond, "Yes Mam." 

Today, in the car, I handed him an opened fruit snack and said, "Try not to spill it okay buddy." And he said, "Yes Mam." 

Oh, so proud....so very proud. I was beaming!

6 comments:

hbmom5 said...

I do this with my kids all day every day!!

lea said...

not to give away the answer, but if you send me your email address, i will send you the lamp shot in a nice big size...

it was in a store window that i passed at night and i thought it was such a cool little vignette....

j-bird said...

Enjoy this now, as an interesting thing happens around 10 or 11 with little boys. THEY FORGET EVERYTHING YOU HAVE TAUGHT THEM FOR THE PAST DECADE!!!!

Seriously, I am back to doing EXACTLY what you just described with my 11 year old boy, who used to say Mam and Sir all the time....

lea said...

bird is sending me your address and i will send the photo. i had a GREAT time today reading your story of the "pi". it totally reminded me of a great sermon that i listened to on iTunes about parenting and how children come into the world wanting to know 2 things...

do you love me? (and we answer that one with a resounding YES everyday)

can i get away with anything i want to? (and we have to answer that with an equally resounding NO everyday)

you did a wonderful and HARD thing.

thanks for supporting 14or40!

Kim and JD said...

Love it ...... Isnt it great when you realize that your kids actually do hear something you say. Tanner got the Yes mam down pretty quick, because I am the one with him about 24 hours of the day. Now when it come to JD, he still says Yes mam, JD will say
" I am a Sir, you say Yes sir to daddy"
Of course 5 minutes later he says "yes mam " again, I figure oh well, he is being respectful why correct him right now!

chantyiam said...

It's Ma'am. (The correct way to spell that) :) I miss you sister. So glad you do this blog thing. Love you.