Friday, April 11, 2008

C at her BEST?

Celeste is taking the CBEST test on Saturday. There are three sections to the test: Reading, Mathematics, and Writing. Both the reading and math portions of the test have 50 questions each. The writing portion has two questions that require Celeste to answer in essay form. Celeste must score a 41 on each section to pass. She must achieve an overall score 123 to pass the entire test. Celeste has studied every week on Tuesday and Wednesday with her study partner Lauren for the past 6 weeks. Which of the following answer(s) must be true?

A. Celeste can score no lower than 37 on any section and still pass that section.
B. Celeste should've studied longer.
C. Lauren was a good choice to have as a study partner.
D. Celeste is probably over confident in her writing abilities.
E. None of the above.
F. All the above.
G. Celeste is going to fail and isn't as smart as she thinks she used to be.

Covet your prayers over today and tomorrow. Test is at 8AM tomorrow. I have 4 hours to complete the entire test in whatever order I feel would best help me pass. Seriously, my biggest concern is just staying focused that long so I can remember all the stuff we've studied. Also, that I get two essay questions that I can answer with confidence and not be my typical "If you don't know, make crap up" Celeste.

6 comments:

Brazenlilly said...

Celeste, you have nothing to worry about. You will ace it. I'm serious. Studying is good for review, especially the math portion, but you should have NO problems. Granted, I took it 10 years ago and maybe it has changed, but still--I am completely confident in your ability. But we'll say a prayer anyway!

Kristi said...

Okay...I took it 3 years ago, and my IQ is about 100 points below yours, and i passed. You will have no problems!!!!!! Just study the math from now til' Sat.
But prayers never hurt, so I will pray for you.

Diane Davis said...

Are you trying to trick us? I think the answer is A,B,C but NOT D or E.

This reminds me of when I had to take the GRE. I was living in Kenya and could not bring myself to deal with the anxiety of math when people were dying of AIDS all around me. So what did i do? I went into avoidance mode didn't study math. I actually fantasized about guessing the correct bubbles without reading the question... which shows you how bad I am at math since basic statistics says this isn't possible. I took the test in Nairobi and got my rankings right away. I was in the 89th percentile on the verbal and 89th in the writing. Not bad. The math, you ask? I was in the 19th percentile. It was a graduated exam... get one right and it gets harder, get it wrong and they get easier. By the end of the test I'm sure they were wondering if I could add and subtract. I've said this before, but the most noteworthy part of this experience was wondering how in the world 19% of the test taking population was lower than me.

It was totally stressful but years later I am wasting time at work writing to you with my masters degree. It all works out!

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Diane

Kim and JD said...

I know you can do it and you know you can do it. I also know as well as anyone that you like to "make crap up" but thi is not the case. You are very intelligent and you have studied, you will pass with flying colors. I have no doubts, but will pray that you stay focused and that you are flooded with knowledge. :)

dina said...

H) Celeste might want to not refer to Celeste in the third person on the essay portion of the test.

;) Good Luck! You'll do great! I am praying for you.

Jennifer and Michael said...

We will be praying for you. I will be praying for wisdom, recall, and calmness for you as you are taking it. I know you are going to great though!!! You're Celeste for heaven's sake. Gifted, beautiful, talented, intelligent, funny Celeste. You will do great and they will be blessed to have you in their schools. I love you girl!!!!