Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Over 40

Today I turned 41. I'm officially over 40. Over the hill. Moved into mid-life. Past my prime? Not according to Andy Rooney on 60 Minutes:

As I grow in age, I value women over 40 most of all. Here are just a few reasons why:

As women over 40 will never wake you in the middle of the night and ask, 'What are you thinking?' She doesn't care what you think.

If a woman over 40 doesn't want to watch the game, she doesn't sit around whining about it. She does something she wants to do, and it's usually more interesting. 

Women over 40 are dignified. They seldom have a screaming match with you at the opera or in the middle of an expensive restaurant. Of course, if you deserve it, they won't hesitate to shoot you if they think they can get away with it.

Older women are generous with praise, often undeserved. They know what it's like to be unappreciated.

Women get psychic as they age. You never have to confess your sins to a women over 40.

Once you get past a wrinkle or two, a woman over 40 is far sexier than her younger counterpart. 

Older women are forthright and honest. They'll tell you right off you're a jerk if you're acting like one. You don't ever have to wonder where you stand with her.

Yes, we praise women over 40 for a multitude of reasons. Unfortunately, it's not reciprocal. For every stunning, smart, well-coiffed, hot woman over 40, there is a bald, paunchy relic in yellow pants making a fool of himself with some 22-year-old waitress.

Ladies, I apologize for all those men who say, 'Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?' Here's an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it's not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage!

Thanks Andy for your insight. So, I celebrate being in my 40s. I can't even count the blessings there are so many. I love my life. I love my husband who appreciates me and loves me. I think my son is absolutely just about perfect, whose smile can feed my soul happiness and joy for hours. I live in sunny CA where there's a beach, Mickey, a great church and good friends. I have the best set of friends any person could ever ask for who think I'm good and honest, and enjoy my company. I have a family who loves me raised me well and keeps me in check. I have a God who loves me with all his heart and through His grace keeps molding me and shaping me to bring him Glory. Even through the heartaches I've suffered, I still find goodness and have learned grace, mercy, faithfulness, kindness, gentleness, patience, love and joy. I have my health and even at 40-something I can still see beauty and am learning that inner beauty is what counts in this life. I have come to accept and celebrate who I am, what I was created for, and for whom I live my life. Life is good. God is good - all the time - He's so very very good. Thank you dear Jesus for my wonderful life. 

Can I just say I'm so glad it only took around 37 years to figure that out. Some people never get it. I get it and that makes me happy! Love you ALL!

5 comments:

Diane Davis said...

your birthday is TODAY? As in April 29th? So is MINE! I'm 37 today. Happy birthday to US! :)

j-bird said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! We love you, and I can't wait to come out and see ya!

40 is great - welcome to the club!

Kim and JD said...

I am so glad that I have something to look forward to, I am glad that you had a great Bday. I cant wait to celebrate with you when we come visit.

dina said...

Happy Birthday, Friend!

Take it from a 41 year old, "Jump on in. The water's fine!"

Andi and Michael said...

You are amazing, really
:-)