Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Hidden Ingredient

Remember the Friendship Bread attempt gone bad? Well, I finally gave up on trying to get something good out of that mess. However, recently I bought some zucchini and decided I would make a zucchini cake. It truly is the oldest recipe in my collection. Got it from my Mom. Been making this cake for 25 years. You can also put apples or carrots in this cake and I'm telling you, it's fail-proof. Colin really liked the friendship bread even though to me it always tasted wrong, so I called this cake "friendship bread" and didn't mention that it had a vegetable in it. He ate the whole cake almost by himself. So, for all you mommies who like to hide the good stuff in the food so your kids will eat it unknowingly.... (Seinfeld Cookbook)
...this might be a recipe you would like. Like I said, it's fail-proof. 

Apple or Carrot or Zucchini Cake (Bread)
2 C sugar (if using apples only put in 1 1/2 C)
2 C grated apples or carrots or zucchini
2 eggs
3/4 C oil (1 C if you like it more moist)
2 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp (heaping) cinnamon
1 C chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)

Mix ingredients with mixer about 3 minutes dump into greased and floured bunt pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour to 1 hour 5 minutes or until knife comes out clean. Cool and dump onto cake plate. Slice and serve. It's wonderful. You can also add cream-cheese frosting to the carrot version for more of a dessert. 

Weight Watchers  - a slice has 5 points w/o nuts and 6 points w/ nuts. 

10 comments:

Jennifer and Michael said...

I LOVE this cookbook and the concept. And I am so glad you didn't have a repeat experience of the original friendship bread. I bet it goes really good with a cup of coffee. We should have a cup together soon. ; )

Breanne said...

I have this cookbook but have not used it yet. I got over whelmed in the beginning and then forgot about tit. That looks very good. Might have to get that cookbook back out.

Brazenlilly said...

Woohoo! Can't wait to try it. I'm hoping we have started a "thing" on the blog network and we can collect lots of fun new recipes!

Andi and Michael said...

I am a deceptively delicious mom (see my blog for the banana bread with cauliflower!), and I can't wait to make your cake tonight. This time I won't eat the entire 1/2 cake like I did last week. It really is a good cake. :-)

Diane Davis said...

wow... even I can do this!!! :)

Kristi said...

YA! I love the zuchhini bread. Wanna bring some down to me for my BDAY and go see Secret Life of BEES????

Heidi said...

sounds scrumptious! I just need to find someone to bake it for me. I'm an idiot in the kitchen.

No skills when it comes to anything culinary...

Brazenlilly said...

JUST MADE IT! So good. I'm going to have to give it away or eat the whole thing. I made it w/ apple, and I've been experimenting with substituting apple sauce for oil, and it worked just fine. I didn't have a bundt pan, so I used 2 loaf pans...the bread is shallow, but SO yummy. Carson and I have already had 2 pieces each. Thanks!

Andi and Michael said...

Made it and LOVED it! I shared it with my Bible study group and several ladies ate TWO pieces :-) That is a sign of a good cake. Can't wait to try it with apples and carrots.

The Craftypigs said...

Just made your cake KT.... see you soon.