Monday, October 13, 2008

Fighting Spiders

I don't usually brag on my son's coloring, drawing, or writing abilities because in a word, they're not that good. He's a boy, he's in a hurry, he's about getting it done so he can go play with cars, heros, trains, swords, and other boys. But the other day he handed me this. I took notice because first of all, it had more than one color, second, it had different texture (dots, lines, movement). It looked like he actually cared about this. So I said, "Colin, this is really good. What do you call this piece of art?" He looked at it and then said, "It's 'Fighting Spiders'." I praised him some more and then he said, "See the two spiders Mommy? One of them is blue and purple and the other is red and yellow and the black marks is the FIGHT!" (fight said ferociously). I was impressed and decided that I would frame this one. I also decided that maybe each of his pieces have a meaning and I should be less critical and more attentive and appreciative. 

FIGHTING SPIDERS

5 comments:

Brazenlilly said...

Oh, I love it! When I saw the title to your post, that Spiders was in caps, I thought it might be the name of a new band. It could be catchy. When Colin grows up, you should suggest that to him and his friends.

Heidi said...

Love it!

Andi and Michael said...

More often than not, our adult minds cannot interpret the wonders of a child's art without their guidance. I love that he had characters and a plot in this piece. Aren't you glad you asked? :-)

Diane Davis said...

i love abstract art. :)

Kim and JD said...

I learned that with Tyler. So now when Tanner starts to draw or paint I say oh what are you drawing and he always has a story or something in mind. I love their creative little minds and how they work, good job Colin!