Sunday, October 5, 2008

Beverly Hills Chihuahua - Review


We went to see Beverly Hills Chihuahua yesterday. I was actually excited because it's Disney and I expect movie-making perfection from Disney even when it potentially could be ridiculous. My expectations for really liking the movie were reasonable in that I don't really have an affinity for dogs. I've never had a dog as a pet because I'm allergic to them. But there have been some of the best movies ever about dogs: Old Yeller, Where the Red Fern Grows, The Incredible Journey, K-9, Turner and Hooch, My Dog Skip -- I loved them all so I was open to this movie. I can also appreciate a good dog, especially one that has a job such as K-9 police dogs, sight dogs, sheep dogs, drug dogs, search and rescue dogs, etc. And I can appreciate a loved family dog. I like to watch "Best In Show" like anyone else and am fascinated by all the breeds. But for the life of me, I don't get the chihuahua. I don't get why people think they are so cute and how putting clothes on them can possibly be rationalized as normal behavior. I don't get how a yappy little rat-like thing could be a good companion or bring any good to the world whatsoever. So, I half expected the movie to do one of two things, either change my mind about the love for the chihuahua or make me despise them all the more. 

As far as the movie itself, it was fine. The story line was good enough. Good verses Evil, finding your place in the world, overcoming adversity, becoming a hero in the moment of extraordinary circumstances, etc. The special effects were what you would expect with talking animals. The characters were okay. My favorite was the German Shepherd, voiced by Andy Garcia. Honesty, without that character/dog/actor, I wouldn't have made it through the film. Kudos to the dog trainers behind the scenes. They brilliantly made fun of the ridiculous behavior by the wealthy and the treatment of their "precious babies" with spa treatments, outfits, diamond collars, doggie birthday parties, special sized furniture, doggie play dates, and more. But then they went all support-the-cause and awareness on me and overall just pissed me off. It makes me mad when a film is used to support a cause. It's not what I signed up for. I came to be entertained. I don't like the bait and switch approach. That's not going to get me on your band wagon....ever! And it really makes me mad when they deceive you with the trailers into coming to see a movie you have a preconceived idea about based on those trailers and then bombard you throughout the movie with their cause and you are watching a completely different movie. Wall-E is a perfect example. 

Basically, this is what I got. Some dogs have way too much to the point of ridiculous and the dogs themselves are tired of it. As a breed they are done being treated like "precious babies" and want to treated with some respect. "No Mas!" There are other dogs that are being abused by their owners to do their dirty work. There are the lost dogs captured for ransom or used as money making machines in the dog-fighting arena. (tastefully, there was never a "dog-fight" in the movie) There are a lot of dogs without homes and deep down, that's all any dog really wants in the world - to be loved and wanted. 

I was not happy! Bob Barker did it best. Consistently and subtly, "Help control the pet population, have your pet spade or neutered." 

No Mas! Oh, and my thoughts about the chihuahua; pretty much the same. Less against the dog itself, more against the people who need to own them as an accessory to their lives. 

Weak, strong in a way

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favourite character is also the German Shepherd. Andy Garcia did an excellent job. You know what, I read in some interviews that Andy actually requested to meet the dog personally and to get a sense of what the dog is. He even took some photos of the dog. What a professional actor!

Brazenlilly said...

I agree about the bait and switch, shove your agenda down my throat moives. Give me a break! I'd rather sit at home and watch Clifford teach me about manners. Nice review. You have preserved your place of high esteem. ;)

Heidi said...

BRAVO! I'm so in agreement on the bait and switch, hidden message, agenda type of thing.

Please.

As you said, "No Mas!"

And Jen - I love the Clifford the Big Red Dog reference. Anyone who can speak with love toward Clifford is just plain cool.

Phillips Family said...

You know I loved it. It brought out my inner-bean. I'm thinking you've never met my dog Peanut. She's a 3 pound chihuahua, and yes we do dress in her cute clothes, and Mark is man enough to walk her, and take her into Pet Smart. LOL!

Jenn B said...

Girl, my Lizzie just LOVED it! She's been talking about seeing this movie since she saw the first preview three months ago and it lived up to her every dream. She can't wait to buy it and watch it over and over and over again. Me, I didn't see enough of the movie to even get the hidden message. Two trips to the bathroom (with different children - one of them was a blowout diaper) and all I got from it was an ice cold Diet Coke w/just splash of Cherry and some delicious movie popcorn. Yum!

So much for "No Mas!" :-)

free movies said...

Beverly Hills Chihuahua is a fantastic movie clearly out standing movie that i have been watch so nice to see a films made for children it also have action in it too
I found it on I watched on http://www.80millionmoviesfree.com I've recommended it to a lot of people on here and I've gotten good reviews

Anonymous said...

this movie is so good it's funny and all the members of the family can go to see it