Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Which First?

So I consider myself a person who knows how to clean. I grew up with the original Mrs. Clean....Jeannie (see post before this one) but I don't know the answer to this question. 

Do you dust or vacuum first? 
If you dust first you can sweep the dust from the top down from light fixtures to bottom shelves of book cases with a feather duster or even dust cloth, knowing the extra dust not caught in your dust gather of choice will fall to the ground to be picked up by the vacuum later. However, when  you vacuum you are no doubt going to stir up the dust in the carpets and on the floor that will eventually settle from the bottom shelves of your bookcase to the tops of the light fixtures. So it makes sense to vacuum first but then there's the annoyance of walking on your vacuum cleaner lines in the carpet (I secretly love these) to go back and dust. 

So seriously, which comes first the vacuum or the dust cloth? Thoughts....I'll take one and all. 

7 comments:

Phillips Family said...

I love it....i'm so excited to see you have a blog.

Andi and Michael said...

If you have a really good vacuum, then it will not stir up the dust as much and will not spit out any dust either. Dyson is the best. So my vote is to dust first and then vacuum.

Jennifer and Michael said...

Well, I personally dust on a different day than the day I vacuum. Mainly because I find it hard to clean the whole house in one day so I do a litle bit at a time so that by the end of the week the whole house has been cleaned. Most people don't like this because they would rather do it all in one day and then be done for the week (my husband is one of them-but since he doesn't clean the house he gets no say). But, if you do it this way then you can vacuum and then the next day when your perfect carpet rows are tramped all over and ruin (I love these too!!!) then you can dust. Just a thought!

dina said...

Personally, I don't dust much. Kinda a respect thing. I don't bother the dust, it just lies there and doesn't bother me. I once wrote first-grade-bad-words on the coffee table to motivate me to dust it. You could read "poop" and "do-do" for a week there. So, that didn't work all that well...

Jenn B said...

I think you need to come to my house and do both, in each order, on two seperate days, say two weeks apart; so that i can give you a very educated answer to that question. :-)

Diane Davis said...

i've always wondered the same thing. but i do dust first.

Kirsten Marie said...

I say dust first and then vacuum. :) But, like Jenn said, should your need a home to experiment on...I am more than willing to volunteer.