Sunday, September 7, 2008

Stand UP


I watched the fund drive TV broadcast Friday night. I'm usually not one for sitting through these kinds of things....they make me feel guilty for being healthy, for being stingy, for being happy. Not to imply that I don't support the causes, it's just my heart can't take it. But I watched Stand Up 2 Cancer because it is very relevant to my life. I've lost three grandparents to cancer. I know friends who've lost people. My Dad is recovered from prostate cancer. My aunt is recovered from breast cancer. Also, anytime there's anything about a child suffering my heart can't bear it. It absolutely kills me to watch or listen to a story. And yet, even that has been relevant to my life recently. I feel like our families or families of close friends will be plagued again with the disease many times over in my life span, could even be me someday.

So I watched. While I watched I prayed for those people of whose stories they told, those families who've lost, those who've won against it. I prayed for the doctors who are so close to solving the mystery. I supported. I stood up. 

There was one story about a boy who was four. His mother's testimony was about his heartbeat. How she heard it before he was ever born and how she held her hand on his heart and felt it stop. She said, "All he ever wanted was to be five." As I have a four year old. I can't even imagine the heart wrenching pain she must have felt and is still feeling. I stood up for her. I'm still standing.

2 comments:

Jennifer and Michael said...

I am standing with you!!!

Kim and JD said...

I totally forgot about it and missed it. I am hoping to catch it somehow, somwhere. I stand up with you too. I have 2 grandfathers with cancer, one whom it is about to take from us. I have seen it all around us in friends of friends. I understand somewhat, the story of the four year old, as we lost a child very close to us and my heart breaks for that mother. Thank you for posting this.