Friday, March 6, 2009

The Note

JD went to an Elder's Retreat this weekend. He left last night and will be back on Saturday sometime, probably just in time to go to work. Anyway, we saw him here and there on Thursday but our goodbyes were hurried and half-assed. I thought about it and prayed for his safe return so I would have the chance to give him a proper hello. 

So, as I'm thinking about this, a thought of a note crossed my mind. That in the future, if he's going that maybe I should include a note. I've done this in the past but it's been awhile. That way he would have a little something while he's gone and he would know how much he's loved and missed. 

Well last night as I was getting Colin in bed I noticed something on Colin's pillow. It was a note. It was to both of us and it included all the right things. The perfect note. It said hello, that he'll miss us, that he loves us and that he can't wait to get back to us and that we are the best things in his life. To me that was so perfect. I felt better now about the goodbye. 

Colin and I read the note together. He asked if I would read it again. Then he wanted to keep the note with him as he slept. I suggested we put it under his pillow. He didn't like that idea because it might fall behind the bed. I suggested we tuck it in his pillow case. He liked that idea. We did. Then as I was about to turn the light off he said. "Daddy left a note." I said, "Yea, it was nice huh?" "Yea." We talked about several things and then he nestled in to sleep. The last thing he said was, "Dad wrote me a note." 

Well done JD. Thank you for sharing your love with us. 

Leave notes. Write them in your own handwriting (no computers) and include all the right things. They make a difference. 

5 comments:

Heidi said...

So thoughtful - and how sweet that Colin put it in his pillow case. I really like that idea. Thanks for sharing!

Brazenlilly said...

And thank YOU for getting me all choked up right after putting on make-up! Man, what a reminder of how the little things make SUCH a difference to our kids. You better believe Colin will remember that for a long time...and good thing you protected the note, because if it fell behind the bed it would have been your fault. ;)

Diane Davis said...

i love this story... it shows you boys (both of them) sensitive and loving hearts. good stuff.

Kristi said...

I'm totally crying. JD is the perfect man for you. And the perfect father for Colin. What a precious story..

Jenn B said...

What a blessing!