Sunday, November 2, 2008

Back to School


So, I went back to school on Monday. I've just spent my first week as a Pre-K preschool teacher. I had no illusions of how difficult this job was going to be; but I grossly underestimated out of pure ignorance. 'Ignorance is bliss' is not just a catch phrase. So here's a little list of what I learned....not exclusive by any stretch of the imagination, I just can't remember it all. It was a long first week. Ms Celeste tired.

1. A preschool is no place to break in a new pair of shoes. 
2. You can make a pumpkin patch out of brown and green paper in about 10 minutes. 
3. You can learn the names of 23 children in a day.
4. You can pee on command.
5. You walk a lot at a preschool and you never sit down.
6. Empty walls need something creative.
7. Glue is messy but cleans up easy with water.
8. Kids like things done a certain way and will tell you.
9. You can never show your fear.
10. "Wash your hands" is a relative statement.
11. Boys LOVE little cars and blocks.
12. I have inherited a classroom bird named Rocket. (I know nothing about caring for birds)
13. I hand-made an apron for my "Mary Poppins" costume. 
14. Four years olds, don't really know who Mary Poppins is. 
15. Five minutes without purposed activity will lead to all out uncontrolled chaos.
16. Kids eat buggers. 
17. Teachers have to stick together.
18. Sleep is the best reward to a long day.
19. Parents trust you and hope the best for you.
20. I'm completely ill-equipped and completely excited.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow - sounds like quite a job. I don't know how you do it. I would probably run away after the first day!

Kim and JD said...

I agree with all, but #15 is the one we live by. We always say we would rather run long and still be going when the parents get there than not have enough to do and have "downtime" I hate downtime.
Good for you, I am so excited for you Ms. Celeste, you will be amazing.

dina said...

Those are 23 lucky pre-school children! I bet you ROCK!!!!

Phillips Family said...

Miss Celeste!!!!

I love ya girl! You ROCK!!! I knew you would be fabulous. I can't wait to partner up with you when I get back!

Don said...

LOVE this list! Should appear in every Childhood Development textbook!

Breanne said...

I am tired reading it...you wil be great!

Jennifer and Michael said...

How fun for you. You are the perfect person for that job. The perfect combination of tough and tender that those children need. I just wish we were there so you could be Aria's teacher. Have fun!!!

Jenn B said...

Lizzie loves her Miss Celeste for sure!