Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Vote

In honor of the election today I decided to hold an election in my class. After discussion of what today was all about and who the candidates were (names only) and that all their parents were going to vote for a new president, I thought they should experience the process. 

We have a new alligator in the class who will help every morning with circle time. He needed a name. I let each child come up with a name they liked. I had everything from Mr. Alligator to George, to Lisa to Princess. I told them that there was no wrong names and that Ms Stephanie and I would narrow their choices to two and then they would cast their vote on secret ballot. 

The top two contenders were Noodles and Pepper. Each child voted by either writing 1 or 2 on the ballot. After the votes were counted, the elected name for our alligator is Noodles. Won the vote 10 to 4. 

On the way out, each child got a "button" to wear home. It was a good day in America. 

5 comments:

Heidi said...

VERY cute... I'd like my son Jack to attend your preschool class. Can you set up a webcast of it? :)

Kristi said...

You are the most brilliant person I know. I love you.

Diane Davis said...

that is amazing. great story.

JD said...

You're brilliant - and beautiful. Which makes both Colin and me very lucky!

Jenn B said...

You've created a little politician in Lizzie because she told me that his first name is Noodles and his second name is Pepper. :-)