Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Such a Small Thing


This is a picture of a piece of peanut Colin found tonight in his ice-cream sprinkles (always ordered "on the side"). The last time there was a trace of nut in something from an ice-cream shop he accidently ate it and we had to administer an Epi pen and spent a couple hours in the ER. Based on that experience, Colin has a heightened sense of look-out that tops even his parents. There he is happily eating his sprinkles and he pulls out this little nut and says, "Look! I found a nut!" I examined it and praised my child for being so smart and so alert. This tiny little piece of nut, such a small thing, could literally kill my child. I stand amazed and grateful for this time of grace (again!). Our lives are so fragile. Our time is so uncertain. Our care for our own humanity is so truly careless. 

6 comments:

Kim and JD said...

We talked to JD the other night when we were there, about Colin and the last sprinkle incident. That is very scary and you are right I to stand amazed. I am beginning to hate nuts, those darn little things. I am also so grateful for Colin's keen sense of awareness. We miss him tell him we said hi and give him a big hug from us.

eleventhirtysix images said...

Oh, my. I didn't realize Colin was allergic. What a daunting allergy - but what an awesome little man to be able to pick it out, himself.

Is that something he could outgrow? How does that work? You don't hear much about adults with it.

Andi and Michael said...

Truly divine wisdom for him to pick out and identify the nut. Amazing! I think you should bring your own toppings from now on. One too many nuts in the sprinkles for me.

Jennifer and Michael said...

Oh I am so glad that he found that. I know you are prepared but better for him not to have to go through that scary ordeal ever again!!! He is so smart!!! In my mind he is still 2, it just doesn't seem fair that they have to grow up so fast.

Dionne Sincire said...

Wow! I navigated to your sight from Kristi Templeton's blog list. I don't have allergies, nor do I have children with them, but I sympathize with you. I find that your son's story has spiritual application as well.

What if we all had your son's alertness towards the spiritually lethal affects of the "small sins" in our lives. What if we pointed them out with your son's wisdom borne out of his previous experience in the ER. What if we were more careful about avoiding sin in our own lives.

There is a great biblical illustration in your son's testimony as well. While I will be more mindful of the needs of people around me, I will also take from this post the need to be aware of our spiritual needs as well.

Kristi said...

Good eyes Colin! I think about him all the time. Curtis threw some peanuts down in the parking lot at Disney World and I made him pick them up so some kid didn't pick them off the ground and die eating them. Tragic I know, but I also know how serious it can be.