Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Little Ducklings


Yesterday, I had the privilege of knowing what it might feel like to have twins. Tanner and Colin (only 4 mo apart) were together all day as Tanner's parents and sibling were out doing the tourist thing in Hollywood. Knowing Tanner would be bored out of his mind I suggested the little kids stay with me and we would do some fun things and make dinner for the group when they got home. 

Now I've never kept Tanner so although he was okay with the idea, he was leary of me. He's seen my military approach to discipline and knows deep down that I don't put up with much crap. But I promised we would have a fun day and he and Colin would have a great time. And I know that all kids are better for other adults than they are for their own parents so I expected Tanner to have a perfect day. I was right. 

Tan and Colin played perfectly together. We went to the grocery store. They ran around and I shopped for dinner needs. We also picked up some Cherrios to feed to the ducks. While at the deli counter, the man asked, "How old are they?" I said, 3 1/2 and 4. He looked at them, looked at me and then with compassion in his eyes said, "You have a nice day Miss." I said thanks and was happy he didn't feel the need to call me "Mam". 

The next stop was the duck pond / play ground. They had a ball feeding the ducks. It was so fun to watch. They played on the playground stuff, etc. We went to McDonald's for lunch and played some more on the air conditioned play ground and they climbed and climbed. Played hide and seek with the other kids. Ate all their lunches. Never once fought or complained. So for that, I drove across the street to the 99 cents store. Told them they could have two things each. Had to talk Colin out of a kitchen timer that I was pretty sure wasn't working properly and was not a toy. Then we came home and they played and played some more. Ended the day in the bathtub and soaked the floor (good opportunity to get it cleaned) and went to bed tired, full and happy. 

It was a good day. Had fun with two little ducklings trailing behind all day. 

2 comments:

Andi and Michael said...

Glad it was a fun day for the three of you!

Kim and JD said...

Cuties... Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum as I called them all week.
I am glad that he got to spend time with Colin and feed the ducks, he had a blast.