Friday, February 29, 2008

Baseball Dreams

Today, on JD's day off, we piled in the car and drove to the Dodger's stadium. In a moment of great clarity around Christmas time, I had the idea to get JD and Colin opening day tickets for the Dodgers. The seats are right behind home plate (on the third deck but still right behind home plate). Since then JD went in with some others to buy season tickets. He's already been to see where the seats are and he wanted to take Colin and me to see them on a nice day without the crowd. Turned out to be a fantastic idea. We had a great time. Spent some time in the pro-shop and found a few fun items. Since we live in CA, we might as well commit to a baseball team and there are four to choose from. Got Colin a little 50th Anniversary bat and a cheap ($18) t-shirt. I was thrilled to only pay $18. Anyway, while sitting in our seats talking about baseball, baseball players, our seats, enjoying a great view as we were looking out at the perfectly green manicured field and watching the shadows grow longer I asked Colin if he wanted to wear his new Dodger's shirt. He immediately said yes and we traded shirts. Then two different times while we sat and dreamed Colin said, "Let's sit here until the game starts." That's not until March 31. He didn't care.

After the park we went out for dinner where Colin informs me and JD, "When I grow up, I'm gonna be a baseball hitter." Then we dropped by the frozen yogurt place and all the while, Colin carried his new bat and wore his new shirt with virgin Dodger Pride. It was sweet. JD was also donning new Dodger swag so it was fun to watch them hang together.

On the way home Colin lets me know from the backseat, "Mom, I'm gonna wear what I have on to bed, okay?" I say, "No, at night night time, we wear our PJs." About 3 minutes pass. "Mom, can I wear these same clothes tomorrow?" I say, "Sure, you can wear your new shirt tomorrow. I think that would be great." 3 more minutes pass. "Mom, what about if I put on my jammy bottoms and my socks but I still wear this shirt I have on." At this point I have to admire my son's ability of logical thought, great cuteness, perfect timing and the sheer brilliance of his moves. Future chess player I'm thinking. I of course say, "Okay. I can live with that."

And just when you think he can't come up with any more he says this, "Mom, tonight you sleep on the couch (instead of lying beside him) after we read our stories because I'm gonna sleep with my new bat. He's gonna lie on my second pillow."

Now there's a little boy who caught a dream at the ballpark.

Perfection.

8 comments:

Brazenlilly said...

Oh crap that is a cute picture. It looks timeless...it could be 2008 or 1958. A baseball bat and a binky: what more could a kid want?

dina said...

This made me cry. How sweet.

Kim and JD said...

That is great ! Thank you so much for sharing. What a sweet and perfect little story for a sweet and perfect little boy.

hbmom5 said...

AWW!!! So sweet! I can't wait until March 31 either!!
Now Colin and I will have more to talk about!!
GO DODGERS!!!

Unknown said...

How adorable is that! I am so glad to see that you guys are having so much fun!!!!

Andi and Michael said...

Now all he needs is the pencil sketch hanging above Carson's bed - the old school A&M baseball team in action.

j-bird said...

Colin may have just become my favorite Cunningham....

Kristi said...

this is toooo precious.