Thursday, February 7, 2008

To Sit or Not To Sit

I'm pretty sure that my child's bodily functions are not in your top 10 things to care about, but for me it's one of the most relevant things at the moment as we are closing in on being fully potty trained. So, knowing that....read on if you want.

I find it most interesting for my child to have a choice to either stand or sit. As a girl, I have no choice if I want to keep things dry and clean. But Colin, being a boy, has a choice to sit or stand. And neither guarantee dry or clean. Recently he's been standing more and more. I think because at school, standing is the preferred choice. Anyway, here's the fun part. He's been about 98% pooping in the potty. I'm so excited. But several times lately while he's been standing to pee, all of a sudden, the "poop is coming" and we have to quickly turn around and sit. Sounds simple enough except that he's balancing on a stool, the seat is up, and as I said, the poop is indeed coming! This has never ever occurred to me because I always sit, obviously. But then I got to thinking about men, in general and then specifically. Is this why men "plan their poop"? So as not to get caught in the little dilemma that Colin has found himself in recently, on several occasions? Poor kid. He has so much to learn. When he's going to plan to poop, the whole post poop pee, and whether he will stand or sit. Such choices.

BTW, you all know about the post-poop-pee right? You are not finished pooping until you have the post-poop-pee. Stay seated until you've had that final post-poop-pee....you'll know it when it happens. Your body will thank you.

4 comments:

Andi and Michael said...

Been there, girl. It is easy to train standing because you can do the whole "make your pee hit the cheerios" in the potty thing. But, then when the poop comes you gotta sit. Good luck with all of that!

Kristi said...

Wow - this was very informative for a mother of girls! :o) And being a visual person, it was also very funny as I pictured little Colin peeing & pooping at the same time!

Rachel Maples said...

Oh gosh, the joys to come, I'm so glad i have you guys going through this so when potty time comes I can call and say what do I do...I was delusional for a while thinking that Matt would be a major help with this and I'm sure he will at times but the poor kid is stuck with me all day so the adventure will be 95% mine!

chantyiam said...

The PPP - You know it! :) I never thought of that lil' dilemna. If I ever get around to potty training my now almost 3 year old (oh the shame) I guess I'll learn! (Yes, I have a 13 year old son so I SHOULD in theory, know these things, but I have a really wonderful Mom (aka incredibally controlling/intrusive/)(Did I just say that out loud??) ANYWAY... so ya, she trained that one. :) Love and miss you SISTA!