Saturday, January 26, 2008

Can You Hear Me Now?

My Mama always said check the pockets before you wash but for whatever reason, this lesson has not sunk in. I always forget to check JD's pockets before the laundry. It has become almost funny in our marriage. Almost. Since my husband and I have been married I have washed his wallet at least three times. His SS card is now in a plastic bag, barely readable, shredded at all four corners. I don't know how many important tax receipts have been lost due to being washed and dried. I've melted chap-stick and gum. I've laundered a lot of money and I can always find a guitar pick in the dryer if JD needs one. And let's not forget the little maroon w/ white incident. It is exhausting for us both to say the least.

Well, yesterday, I didn't wash his phone, his Blackberry phone, but I did dry it in the dryer. It had been raining all day, we'd all been out in the rain, the coats were soaked as were Colin's shoes, and pants and socks etc. So I threw it all in the dryer so we could leave again. When I went to retrieve said items there was JD's phone in pieces....several pieces. The back had fallen off, the battery had fallen out, other little very important pieces had fallen out or off, not sure. I gathered the poor broken thing and carried it to JD and said, "I think I might have ruined your phone." We checked for anymore missing parts, there was one, and brought it to the phone store like carrying a kid to the emergency room with a hopeful look on our faces that pleaded, "Can you fix it?" Luckily, all the parts were there, they put it together again and it still works. Thank goodness! So, if you're looking to purchase a new phone, I can recommend the Blackberry. They're tough. Real tough, like a truck tough! And, needless to say, check your pockets.

6 comments:

Rachel Maples said...

I feel you girl, I've washed untold amounts of paper, money, keys, zip drives, etc....Matt's the worst and I tell him every time I see him taking a pair of jeans of, did you check your pockets? I even swore one time that I would NOT check his pockets ever again, of course it didn't last long because my frustration with CONSTANTLY finding stuff in the washer and dryer got the better of me...oh well, it's a guy thing I think, it's moo to them not sure why?!

dina said...

Just wait until Colin adds to that mix. Thanks to Walker, in the past 11 years I have washed Pokemon cards (that disintegrate, by the way, and then stick to EVERYTHING), crayons (washing a crayon... no biggie, drying a crayon...whole different story) and ballpoint pens (that turned the inside of the dryer BLUE not to mention everything in the dryer. Trick I learned that got it out? Milk. Yes, a good soaking in milk. Who knew?) Not to mention the dead bugs. Ick.

Andi and Michael said...

Just a part of life with boys and musicians. Guitar picks, crayons, gum, small toys, etc. Just keeps life interesting.

Kristi said...

HILARIOUS...this is so unlike you my dear friend. This is like the 1 thing I have on you....I actually do check the pockets. I am glad JD's phone still works! At least his phone isn't pink! :o)

Laurel said...

OH, I hear ya there.

And the blackberry thing? yes, I highly recommend that phone for durability. I have dropped mine on concrete floors from a high distance (no, not on purpose, silly!), it has all come apart in many pieces, only to be put back together again and work perfectly....I love my Blackberry!!!!!

chantyiam said...

Oh dear.... we ARE family. I recently washed the SECOND of Jordan's ipods. :( Urgh!! this time we shared responsability of replacing it (it wasn't so lucky as Mr. Blackberry)DOA or should I say departure.. from the WASHER! Anyway, my view was it was Jordan's fault for leaving his dirty laundry scattered about his floor instead of placing it neatly, pockets VACANT, into the hamper I so lovingly provide him in his CLOSET... OUT OF SITE!! I mean, gees, I was just being extra nice gathering that crap up and doing it too! right??! Hmmm.. Well, his view was I should stay out of his room and do his laundry only when I'm TOLD TO! (Even if it IS right after I've finished washing a full load of similar items) :)