Thursday, May 21, 2009

This is a Dollar?


Colin and I drove through McDonald's about two weeks ago and I must relay the transaction that took place. I drove away afraid for my child's education and thankful that I'm a teacher and he will know the difference between the coins of the United States of America. 

I had 35 cents in change coming. The kid, at the window could've been 14 or 22. I can't tell how hold they are. The older I get, the younger kids look to me. Let's just say he was old enough to know better, or should've known better. He hands me a dime and a Susan B. Anthony silver dollar. I look at it. I know I'm only supposed to be getting 35 cents back so I say, 

"You gave me too much." 
"I did?" astonished that he could've made such a mistake
"Yes, you gave me a dollar and ten cents. I'm only supposed to get back 35 cents." 
"I gave you a quarter and a dime." 
"No, you gave me this." I hand it back. "This is a dollar." 
"This is a dollar!?" as if he's never seen such a thing.
"Yes, it's a Susan B. Anthony silver dollar, not a quarter." 
"Oh." He takes the dollar, gives me a quarter. 
Then I think, he doesn't deserve this dollar. I ask, 
"Can I have it?" 
blank stare
"I mean, can I trade it?" I offer a dollar bill
"Okay" he takes my bill, hands me back the coin. 
"Thanks."
I drive away astonished. 

WOW!

1 comment:

Brazenlilly said...

Does stuff like this just make you want to compose a list of things that you MUST teach your children? It does me.

Also? Did I totally ruin the AI finale for you, or were you yanking my chain?