Monday, January 12, 2009

Well.... What Would You've Said?

On vacation we went to Texas to see Granny and Pop. There was too much food as usual when people gather together for a holiday. I had helped make scalloped potatoes. They didn't get done when we were supposed to eat them so they were going to go back in the oven another day and finish getting done. This was a BIG corning dish of potatoes with butter, milk, salt pepper etc. 

So in the fridge is the potatoes balanced on the ham with no lid. JD and I had gone to the movies as a date night (Dec 22 was our anniversary of 8 years and we went on a date while Granny and Pop babysat.) When we got back we heard about the incident that took place. 

Granny and Colin were in the living room playing a game. Pop was going to get some dinner ready. Pop opened the fridge and the potatoes that were precariously balanced upon the ham crashed to the floor right side down. Shattered corning ware, potatoes etc all over the floor. Granny says, "What was that?!" Colin replies, "Sounded like glass." They get up to inspect the damage. Granny and Colin round the corner and get an eye full. Colin surveys the situation and says, "Holy Shit!" 

Granny and Pop do their best to not laugh out loud. Granny asks Colin where he heard that. Colin says, "My Mom, at home." Excellent. Then Colin realizes that maybe he shouldn't have said what he did so he offers up this gem, "Holy Gosh?" Perfect! You know I'm in so much trouble now. 

So after the story, after a good laugh, after I get all kinds of looks from my husband, my mother-in-law, and my father-in-law (not so harsh but more atta girl like) I say, "Well, at least he picked the right time to say exactly what everyone was thinking." And personally, if I had made the mess and my son rounded the corner and said, "Holy Shit." I would've responded, "You got that right buddy. Couldn't have said it better myself." 

It's hopeless. I'm in love with my son! 

9 comments:

Don said...

I love a good potty-mouth story! Yeah, he had the right sentiments for sure.

Kristi said...

Oh how I love you and your sincerity.

And I love that you got BUSTED! :o)

Hi freakin larious.

eleventhirtysix images said...

That's awesome! How could you NOT be in love with that???

Kim and JD said...

So he has graduated from Crap!!
Way to go Colin, and like you said he used it precisely at the right moment, so how can you be mad at that. For the record, I would have said the same thing :-)

Heidi said...

That story is absolute PERFECTION.

I love it!!!!

P.S. By the way, that is SO what I would have said. Oh, and I would have gotten the same stink-eye from my husband that you got from yours.

Holls said...

I'm so glad you're back. I've missed reading your blog. Oh, and of course I miss y'all too!!

Brazenlilly said...

LOVE. IT! Oh, how we have missed you. And Colin.

Unknown said...

Love it! Love it! Love it! Classic! Sure do miss you!

Unknown said...

By the way, this is Jen!