Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Little Girls


My son has turned 5. We held him back from going to kindergarten this year as we didn't want him to always be the littlest, the youngest, the kid who's always trying to catch up with the big boys. We wanted him to be one of the big boys. So, consequently, he is now the big boy in my class. Not the awkward kid, just the oldest in the class. I assume that when he gets to kindergarten he will not be the only older boy in class. I'm counting on it.

Anyway, my kid is sweet and cute and everyone loves him. He takes after his Daddy that way. And in my class I have 11 girls and 6 boys. (The drama from that alone is a completely different blog post.) The girls absolutely LOVE my son. While I think it's cute, I am also starting to see a glimpse of the future and my heart breaks for him as I know these girls will become women and they will break his heart, over and over again. But also, mamma bear wants to growl, "Hey! He's mine and you keep your grubby little hands off! He can date when he's 30!" Colin just thinks they're all great and wants to have a good day and keep everyone happy and enjoy his friends - again, he's a lot like his Daddy that way. What Colin hasn't learned yet is that you cannot please everyone and you sure as hell can't please a bunch of women.

Regardless, there are now five little girls who battle for his attention and his affection. Watching Colin juggle them is really something. Someone is always upset with him because Colin isn't playing with them. They are fighting amongst themselves about who is going to marry him (not kidding) and they are pouting and pulling stunts to try to make Colin feel bad or guilty and give one person complete attention. I often feel sorry for him and want to jump in and tell them to leave him alone but so far, he's oblivious to their shenanigans and if one won't play with him, he doesn't care, he'll play with someone who will, including the boys in my class. Whew!

So yesterday morning on the playground, the girls arrive one by one. I try to greet every child and comment on their hair or their dress or ask about their lives in some way. Well one of the girls came dressed in a really cute outfit and I made a comment. Colin happened to be standing with me. He hears me. Then one of the other girls wanted to know if I like her outfit. While I did, it wasn't necessarily worth commenting on. It was just a dress. Colin had the same opinion cuz he started to say "not as much." I interrupted him with a loud, "Of course. Your dress is beautiful too." The first little girl turned and gave me the stink eye." You can't win. Case in point.

But I whispered to my son, "You tell all the girls they look beautiful. Because if you just tell one and not the others, then they're going to be upset with you and your life will be so much easier if you just tell them they all look pretty." He just let that sink in. He didn't really respond. Colin is like me in that he says what he's thinking. He's like his Daddy in that he doesn't ever want to hurt anyone's feelings (tough mental exercise involved right there and this instruction just made it harder.) I know what he was thinking. He's thinking, "I'm supposed to lie?! This will make girls happy?!"

Yep and nope. Welcome to the world of little girls. Beautiful, sweet, manipulative, pouting, crying, dramatic, delightful, angry, yummy little girls. .....Thank God I have a boy.

19 comments:

eleventhirtysix images said...

I've so missed your blogging, Celeste...

Poor Colin, though. Beyond how sweet he is, those eyes are going to make things complicated also.

We're already seeing the overly emotional drama and antics from Charlotte, and she's not quite two yet. Girls and boys really ARE different.

Diane Davis said...

true post.

welcome back.

missed you.

Mike Rosenthal said...

Great post - and it's so great to see you blogging again. You have been missed.

Our oldest child is a girl - and I worry so much about the day when the drama with friends starts. We've been very fortunate that she hasn't experienced it yet (and she's 8!). We keep praying that she'll be nice - but STRONG. We want her to be secure enough in herself to be a leader, not a follower...

Again - great post!

Heidi said...

Sorry - Mike Rosenthal is actually me. I was logged in under my work account...

Steve Cuss said...

Yay! Celeste is back. Another wonderful thoughtful post.

dina said...

Amen and amen.

And "YAY" to you blogging again!
-dina

Anonymous said...

Celeste ~ I'm not to savvy at all this posting/commenting stuff. It's Glynda from the old Firewheel days ~ hard to believe Colin is such a big boy. Please say hi to JD for me ~ we're all doing fine. Our oldest turned 13 this week ~ can you believe Bobby and I have a 13 yr. old grandson? Life is good. Please stay in touch!

Kristi said...

Oh my goodness. I haven't been blogging or even checking blogs lately, but today I had some free time so I thought I'd give it a shot and lo and behold - CELESTE HAS A BLOG. SO EXCITING!

I miss you and your writing!!!!

Girls man...UGH! I do have girls...but luckily they act like boys...so it's not as bad. What a mess though.

Poor Colin, I can TOTALLY visualize that whole scenario! :)

Brazenlilly said...

Love it! Too funny and too true. And actually, Heidi as Mike Rosenthal was also funny to me. SO great to see a blog post from you!

Rachel Maples said...

I can't believe Colin is 5 crazy...but I'm with you I'm glad to have boys...I thought I wanted a girl, but what was I thinking? God knew better huh?!

Andi and Michael said...

What's not to love about Colin?! Those are smart little girls if you ask me. Staking a claim early on the one worth waiting for. :-)

Kim and JD said...

Too funny- I am so excited to get there and see that little "Big" 5 year old.

CandiCookies said...

Well i'm new to your blog and im only 17 but i enjoyed it! It really made me think about things a little bit. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Making money on the internet is easy in the underground world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat affiliate[/URL], It's not a big surprise if you have no clue about blackhat marketing. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or little-understood avenues to generate an income online.

Rachel Maples said...

Okay I know you're busy and probably don't have time to write long blogs (even though we all love to read them) but how about some pictures of what you guys have been up to and I can't even imagine how grown up colin is now!!!! update us please!!!!!

hapi said...

Hi The Craftypigs, Nice blog you got here! try visit my new post: Blog SEO Tutorial: How to Choose the Best Title For Post. I hope you will learn something from it. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

The Craftypigs, Do you know that Forex Is Highest Paying Keyword in Google Adsense? Learn how to use Forex here:

Anonymous said...

ebook on nursing help aid http://audiobooksworld.co.uk/fr/authors/?letter=Ml ebook for wishing it away [url=http://audiobooksworld.co.uk/Exile-and-the-Kingdom/p144010/]ebook scarborough rapist[/url] convert pdb to ebook
[url=http://audiobooksworld.co.uk/it/Business-and-Legal-Forms-for-Graphic-Designers/p172365/][img]http://audiobooksworld.co.uk/image/3.gif[/img][/url]

Anonymous said...

[url=http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/nimotop.htm][img]http://onlinemedistore.com/2.jpg[/img][/url]
patient care plan form pharmacy student http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/kamasutra-contoured-condoms.htm ultram pharmacy line [url=http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/sustiva.htm]compound pharmacy michigan[/url]
online pharmacys in india http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/amoxil.htm find best local pharmacy prices [url=http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/epivir.htm]epivir[/url]
anabolic steroids pravachol pravachol pharmacy technician http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/bactrim.htm buy online pharmacy soma [url=http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/arimidex.htm]unc pharmacy deparment[/url]
onilne pharmacy http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/caverta.htm us pharmacy onlin [url=http://certifiedpharmacy.co.uk/products/pepcid.htm]pepcid[/url]